Thursday, March 29, 2012

McSpring Cleaning

Quote of the week:

S: "I think I'm going to purge a ton this week"
M: "Ummm...what?"
S: "Not like puke my guts out, but cleaning stuff."
M: "Oh, I was gonna say..."

I lovelovelovelovelove Spring cleaning.  My house may not always have the cat tumbleweeds vacuumed, or table tops dusted (or any laundry ever put away), but when it comes to Spring cleaning I go nuts.  I love going through a space and pulling everything out, then starting the organization from scratch. 

My first conquest this Spring.....underneath the kitchen sink.  This has been a pit for every kitchen cleaner I think we need (even though we have 13 others that are half full) or any random kitchen esque item that I don't know where to put.  Here's the mess I was dealing with:


Yeah...somebody call Hoarders, because I definitely have a bit of a problem.  See that blue tote/caddy...on the right side...in the back...sort of being smothered my cleaning products?  Yeah, that was supposed to be my cleaning supply organizer.  And there is an empty box and an old bottle of soap in it.

First step was to pull everything out....and then I was left with this almost usable space:


And you probably noticed this...unless you aren't wearing your bi-focals:


Ughh, purge me.  So once that was wiped down, I was onto step 2, which was organizing all the crap I had put aside.  I divided it into three piles.

1) Keep and put back under the sink
2) Keep, but put where it belongs (aka not under the sink)
3) Toss that crap out


The top right is Keep and put back under the sink.  The left is keep, but put where it belongs, and the bottom is for el trasho.  Almost all of the trash pile is empty bottles...I am lucky enough to have a man in my life who can never put food back into the fridge, but will always put empty containers back into cabinets.

And yes, in the put somewhere else pile, that is lighter fluid and a small gas tank for a grill.  So safe.  At least I had a fire extinguisher under too, right?  Oh and dog poop bags...one always needs those in the kitchen.

I brought the put somewhere else pile out to the garage, the trash pile to an unguessable place, and then organized the keep pile.  I found a cute white tote at Target for about $6, which I put it all into.


Much better, huh?  And if you're wondering about the upside down mason jar...well It's holding our loose kitchen sink pipe in place.  Yeah, I'll get to that at some point.

I'm hoping to work on the two bathroom sinks this weekend...and hopefully drop off a bunch of Goodwill donations we've had sitting around for months. 

Start any Spring cleaning yet?

~S~

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

You need ENJO my friend! It's absolutely amazing cleaning products that clean your whole home without chemicals. It saves you time, money, the environment and your health!!! (And tons of space....it only takes up a little basket.) Google ENJO and check it out! We've been using it for almost 6 months and wouldn't ever go back to cleaning with chemicals. It's awesome!!! :)

She demands, He demos said...

Thanks Rebecca! I'll check them out! :)