Monday, April 18, 2011

Bathroom Update!

Wow, it has literally been 32 days since I gave you any sort of information about how the bathroom is coming along.  For starters, the floor is done.  I didn't give you a post about doing it because I wasn't there for any of it.  Matt used his last week off from work to finish the bathroom floor.  What a man :)  Go back and read this posting, but imagine Matt doing all the steps on the floor instead of on the walls.  Got it?  Ok.

So, I am one who never buys the little jars of sample paint colors from Home Depot.  I pick a color, sometimes bring the card swatch home and then dive in head first and buy a whole gallon of whatever color I picked out.  This is a-ok about 80% of the time.  The bathroom was not one of those times.  I picked out about 20 samples of different shades of grey paint from the Depot and went over and over them.  But I did not buy a sample jar.  I bought a full gallon of Martha Stewart Living Paint Semi-Gloss in Chinchilla....which I though was the perfect grey.  Not so much.  After putting 2 coats on the walls (and it took for freaking ever.  Our bathroom has about 17 different sized walls/nooks-n-crannies/angles.  And then Matt walks in (I'm the painter in our family) and says, "Ughhh, it looks purple."  And it did...in a light grey kind of way.  I told him was nuts and left it....and now after it being done for about 3 weeks, it definantly looks grey-ish purple.  Here are a couple action shots.  First, with only around the trim painted (one coat):


Then a little more:




And here's with a more accurate idea of the wall color.  And the awful towel hook I installed when we first moved in 2 years ago....can you even see it?


And the NEW fancy (aka normal) towel bar!  Hotchy Motchy :)



Part of me wanted to leave the grey-ish purple (my stubborness) but in the end, the room was looking way too steril for it's own good.  Sooo, we picked out a color we liked at Sherwin Williams and had Home Depot  match it to a less expensive type of paint.  I decided to try Glidden's Semi Gloss this time.  I wasn't 100% impressed with Martha Stewart's paint.  The color was true to it's swatch, but I felt like the paint was kind of thick and hard to put on the walls.  Glidden's was the exact same price as Martha Stewart, so I gave it whirl.  Luckily, Home Depot had Sherwin Williams' colors in their paint database, so they were able to match it without any problems.

I hate hate hate blogs that put up "teasers" without a finished product, but I haven't had a post up in over 10 days....so I'll leave you with the bathroom as it is now.  I'll be painting it the new color hopefully this weekend.

Thanks for sticking with us! :)

~S~

No comments: