Thursday, April 28, 2011

A little vanity perhaps?

The bathroom make over continues...and continues...and continues.  Matt is back to his 12-20 hour days at work and I have been a couch slug lately (seriously, will it even stop raining and get above 43 degrees?), but decided enough was enough and I needed to get a move on with things.  We also have a whole mess of company coming next weekend too, so the clock was ticking.

The next step was to either replace or redo the bathroom vanity.  We had looked at a bunch of different stores, websites, and even thought about building our own, but when it came down to it, we were flat out running out of steam on this remodel.  Sooo, I used one of favorite hobbies to our advantage....painting.  I decided that the most economical solution would be to paint the vanity.  (Also, our vanity is a really weird size, 41" wide....where most pre made vanities are 39" or 43", so we would need to have it custom made, which = $$$$$ and I like to save all our money for shopping sprees at Target.)  Here are two super old pictures to remind you what the vanity looked like at the beginning of the bathroom project:





And at this time, I would like to make an apology to the Martha Stewart Paint line...in this post I complained about not liking Martha Stewart's paint...but I have determined that I just don't like it for painting walls.  I am in love with her paint for painting furniture.  The thickness of the paint covers furniture like it's no one's business!  One coat into the vanity painting project and I was ready to make out with a paint can.  But I'm getting ahead of myself.

We picked out a rich and deep chocolate brown color from Martha's line and had a quart of it made using semi-gloss paint.  We brought it home, and like most projects, the paint sat there for about a week before I got off my butt and started redoing the vanity.  I first took off both doors and the hinges (the doors did not have knobs on the outside) and wiped the doors and vanity frame with a damp paper towel.  The finish on the whole thing was kind of coarse to begin with, (and I'm lazy) so I skipped sanding it all down and jumped right into the first coat of the brown paint.  And loved it!  Even one coat in, I was freaking out over how good it looked!


{And yes, it you noticed there is a pregnancy test box under there...
NO we are not pregnant and not trying and will not be for a very long time...
I just freak out once in a while and convince myself I could be, when I'm not.}


Granted, it looks a little rough since it's only the first coat, but are you loving it?!  I think it really pops in the room now too, instead of getting lost with the white trim and white vanity top.  The night I did the first coat, I dragged Matt upstairs the second he walked the door to show it off and he was almost as excited as me about it.  I've done two more coats since and it looks aaaaamazing!  I think I'll do a coat of polyurethane over it all since it will most likely come into contact with water quite frequently.  I just need to pick up the new knobs for the doors and pull thingys for the fake drawers above the doors.  (By the way...fake drawers in a bathroom are the most ridiculously annoying thing ever...where do I put the toothpaste?!  So far, on the counter top.)

So, once we decided to paint the vanity, Matt and I also decided to make a frame for the bathroom mirror to match.  Here's a quick glimpse of the almost completed frame that Matt and I (mostly Matt) built from scratch!






PS....We got our first blog comment ever this week!  Thanks LC for commenting! :)  Also, thank you so much to everyone out there who reads my posts and follows us.  I honestly appreciate every comment, email, and text I get from you all and your support for this blog :)

~S~

2 comments:

Kate said...

I like the vanity a lot! We re-painted our hideous rose pink kitchen cabinets a very similar color and it looks great!

P.S. - I would have commented before, but your comments were blocked, so I would always comment on your Facebook! :)

-Kate.

Unknown said...

love the mirror frame, can't wait to see the finished bathroom!