Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Kinda, sorta, but not really done

So, the bathroom is done!  Well, kinda, sorta, but not really.  The floor is now done!  The toilet is back in place!  And the bathtub fixtures are in place and working!  So, it is a usable bathroom again!  (Though I can't seem to remember this....I still walk all the way down two flights of stairs to go to the bathroom every morning).  So technically it's done, but there are still a few items on the to-do list.
  • Paint the vanity.  I picked up a bunch of paint swatches last night at The Depot, and will be looking them over with Matt sometime this week.
  • Paint the walls and ceiling.  I decided to paint the walls and ceiling the same color.  Because the rest of the room is so white, I think it will look better with grey on the walls/ceiling.  It's Martha Stewart Living paint from Home Depot in Chinchilla.  I actually have the exact color waiting to be painted onto the master bedroom walls (only in Eggshell...the bathroom will be Semi-Gloss, to ward off against Dementors....I mean mold).  Since we don't have an official master bathroom, I liked the idea of painting both rooms the same color to make them feel a bit more connected.
  • Replace and paint the baseboards
  • Build a frame for the bathroom mirror
  • Add new light fixtures (probably down the road)
I stopped and bought the bathroom paint on the way home from work last night, fully intending to paint when I got home.  But then I realized that we needed to add texture to one of the walls (when we added the new drywall) before I could start painting.

{Side note.....Our ENTIRE house has textured walls.  It looks and feels like stucco.  Which apparently is kind of a hip thing right now....but it's soooo annoying.  Not only was it done poorly, but I happen to like smooth walls.}

So, I guess the bathroom isn't exactly done, but it's usable and that is a big step from where it was a week ago.  Here's a teaser shot of the gorgeous floors Matt did!



Ahhhhh!  I looooove it!  Ok, here's a couple more revealing shots, so you can actually picture it....


{Taken at night, so the tile looks darker/more tan than it's actual white/grey color}

{Taken during the day, actual color}

{Against the tub and shower walls}

So, as you can see in the above picture, we have one small tile to add onto the wall still.  And the vertical stripe of green sheet rock (between the closet and tub) is what needs to be textured.

I just love how all the different pieces of tile are all so unique from one another, yet go together all at once.  I'm sure you're thinking "That is one white bathroom."  And well, you wouldn't be wrong.  That's why I chose a medium grey color for the walls and to paint the vanity an espresso color.  The mirror will also most likely have a matching espresso frame around it too.  The little bits of contrast will keep it from looking too sterile.  I'm also planning on painting the closet walls to match the glass tile:


Check out those fixtures!!!!  I actually told Matt I was more excited to see those done than anything else in the bathroom so far (Nice, huh?)  We attached the overflow (horizontal rectangle below tub spout) Monday night, so once I clean the tub and put up the shower curtain, we can take showers!  And Matt can take a shower-bath!  Ohhh very happy day :)

~S~

No comments: