Friday, March 4, 2011

"Well, we could paint it..."

I am one of those weird people who love to paint.  Not just walls, but anything and everything.  Just ask Matt.  97% of the time, my solution for something is, "Well, we could paint it...."  And then I get an eye roll.  Seriously it never fails.  We will be looking at furniture or even something around the house that I have decided is now ugly and this little spark will start up in my brain and turn into a raging bonfire with painting ideas.  Since decorating  and redecorating (and maybe redecorating again since I change my mind so often...and looove change) is so expensive (as seen here)  painting is a cheap and easy way to completely transform something. 

Our entire house was already painted when we moved in, and I haven't gone too crazy with changing things so far, but here are a few:

Black house numbers (what up 209?!) a burgundy color because they only came in black...2 coats of spray paint later, hello gorgeous! (and can I also mention: When we bought our house, it didn't have numbers on it!  WTF?!) You can see them below is you squint:



Spray painted gold curtain rod brackets an espresso brown/black because Target does not just sell curtain brackets.

Living room.  First (2009, when we first moved in) I painted one wall a dark purple which I loooved (Matt did not) but when paired with dark purple curtains (and our dark wood floors) it made the whole room way too gloomy.  Shown here (sans curtains):



But then we fell in love with a delightful little show called Modern Family.  The entry way in the show is painted a gorgeous blue color (paired with dark wood floors and white trim) which I immediately had to copy.  Here's just a quick peek at the color...I'm working on the living room this weekend.  Cute kids, no? :)  They're actually best buddies that wrestle all the time and Fiona is only giving crabby-face because Suzie wants to kiss her all the time. 




The kitchen. Umm, I have done this twice in 16 months....The walls came a pukey green color when we bought the house, which I promptly painted the first color, which I like to call "redrum red" (which looked like just that, a room of murder blood walls).  After feeling a little angry every time I cooked for a few months, I visited my Aunt Joanne and Uncle Paul....and then copied their chocolate brown kitchen walls, which is the current color:  Feel free to call me a copy-cat anytime you like.




The kitchen/dining room hutch and pantry.  They were also the pukey green color and are now a crisp white which I accidentally bought in the same exact color of all our trim is painted in...score!

A couple other walls throughout the house


Future painting projects I want to do:

Paint the bathroom we're redoing

Paint this amazing $25 find from Savers in Madison.  So excited about this!  I was crabby one afternoon and stopped at Savers on impulse (don't ask me why) and found this solid wood gem.  Yes, it looks like fleshy puke right now, but just you wait :)  I think it will go in the entry way, with a mirror above it (with new hardware too of course).




Paint the above mentioned mirror....probably white (how cute is little Suzie? :)  ).



Paint my old dresser.  I have had this since I was a little Steph (there are crayon marks on the side to prove it).  Matt and I currently do not have a dresser in our bedroom (we haven't ever had one now that I think about it) and I have always wanted one.  I saw this dresser at Ikea and fell in love with the color, which actually looks totally different online.  In person it was a smokey grey color.  I also plan to get new knobs or pulls.

Paint the master bedroom.  I have hated our bedroom wall colors since we bought the house, but have yet to do anything about them.  I initially bought a very pale sky blue color, but then changed my mind about it.  Right now Matt and I are thinking a very light slate/grey color (what's with me and grey?)  I also want to add a white duvet cover and a giant rug too (show here, remember?)

Paint the entry way.  Right now the walls are a light tan color, which would be fine, except they show every little bit of dirt.  And with Matt doing construction and coming home looking like this:

All of which then seems to end up on the walls (and everywhere else), so we definitely need a different color in there....I may bring the blue from the living room into the entry way....which would also look great with the Savers table! Win Win.

Paint the downstairs bathroom.  Matt loves the "pub" atmosphere that this bathroom gives off with it's dark green walls, but I feel like it makes the entry way and bathroom too dark and murky feeling.  Maybe a grey color (seriously, what is up with me and grey)

Two side tables we have laying around.

Our Adirondack chairs for our deck (from the in-laws....thank you!).  They need to be sanded down and painted....maybe a rich chocolate brown...Matt does not agree...so far.

Hmmm, I think I need a hobby other than wanting to paint everything I own.....

~S~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think your website is cool! Luv all the great ideas and I think I'm going to use a few. Thanks much and good going!!