Thursday, December 1, 2011

A little privacy, perhaps?

So, those of you who have been to our hone may remember our naked windows throughout the house.  And naked windows = neighbors seeing naked people in our bathrooms.  Whoops.  Probably should have made window treatments in the bathrooms a priority over mums in flower pots.

So, a couple weekends ago, I decided to get off my butt and make some curtains.  Yep, I said make.  I had wanted to put up some dark brown bamboo style roman shades in both bathrooms, but all of our windows are very wide, and I couldn't find anywhere thay sells our window sizes off the shelf.  (By the way...I had an estimate done for custom shades.....$385 per window!  PLUS installation!  Pass.)  I had four white linen curtain panels just sitting in our linen closet, not being used (they used to be on the living room windows, but then I accidentally washed them in hot water, then dried them...and they came out about a foot shorter and looked weird) 

Sooo, I measured both bathroom windows and realized that I could use one panel for both of them.  I cut them to size, leaving 2 extra inches on all sides, since I was going to hem them.



I folded over about an inch, then pinned and ironed the edge, so it would be crisp, then folded it over again, so the rough edge was completely hidden on the backside.


Now, once I had the crisp edge, I pulled out some iron-on hemming tape , pressed it underneath the hem (making a hemming tape sandwich with the fabric)....


Then ran the iron over both sides of it, creating a nice and clean no-sew hem.


And at this point I just realized that I haven't show you an update on the bathroom progress...for oh about 6 or more months...which is sad because the bathroom was the whole reason Matt and I started this blog to begin with.  Well, here is the current paint color, which is Sherwin Williams' Foggy Day color matched to Glidden's Premium Interior (Young House Love had bragged about Glidden's in the past so I thought I would give it a whirl since I'm not too attached to any paint brand.  Verdict?  I would say a 7/10...good, but not amazing.)  Here is the naked picture.  Children advert your eyes.


Here's a wider shot, so you can enjoy the color against the floors.



Do you love it?!  How about now?


I said, do you love it?!  I really don't care if you do because I would marry this bathroom if Matt ever comes to his senses and leaves my crazy, nutty butt.

Here's the downstairs bathroom window....I forgot to get a picture of it before hanging the curtain.  Now, this window is in the corner of the room, so I wasn't able to have two curtain panels, so I hung the rod about 6 inches farther over on the left side, to create a one sided curtain pull-a-ma-bob, instead of two.


We're painting this bathroom in a month or two, so the baby poop green will be gone soon.   I used a curtain rod I already had in the fancy bathroom and picked up three $5.00 curtain clip packs from Target to spread out over the two windows.  Oh and I picked up another curtain rod for the green bathroom for about $5.00.  Total investment for two bathroom windows to have curtains....about $20.00.  Not too shabby when that $20 is compared to the almost $800 a certain big chain department store would have charged us.

I realize it's maybe a little odd to have curtains like th eones above in bathrooms, but all of the curtains in our house are white, hung on the same rods, with the same clips...which I think gives us nice cohesive look throughout the house.

What do you think?  Are you happy your bare butts won't be displayed all over our neighborhood anymore?  I know I am...who knows about the neighbors though.

~S~

No comments: