Tuesday, March 29, 2011

"Ahhh my back!"

So, I haven't put laundry away since early January.  Yes, you heard me correctly.  As I told you here, I HATE putting laundry away.  So, all of our clean clothes end up in piles on the floor right in front of our closets.  My crazy organizing mania was flowing full force this last weekend, so I thought I should tackle the clothes and my closet while I was motivated enough to do it. 

Step one:  Refold and organize all clean clothes into piles, according to how they will be put away.  (As in separate piles for everything: undies, bras, bath towels, sweatshirts, sheets, socks, etc...).  This may look chaotic, but it's actually organized:





Step two:  Closet shelf and hanging bar fall on top of me.  Now, I did not plan for this step to happen, but it did.  The shelf/bar brackets were not all attached to walls using studs, so when I bumped the bracket wrong, it all came crashing down...on my back and head.  Luckily my closet only looked like this when it happened:



Yeah, that's all the clothes I had hanging up.  So, I grabbed the stud finder (my stud {aka Matthew} was napping in the basement) and rehung the brackets correctly.

Once done, I went through alllllllll of the organized and fallen clothes and filled EIGHT Target bags full of clothes to donate.  I do this every couple months, but never weed out out the "Oh, I'll be that size again one days" completely....this time I showed my belly no mercy and was honest with myself about the too smalls.  (I'll mention too, that I found 4 empty Target bags tumble-weeding around our bedroom when I started this project...).

{Cute puppy not to be donated}

I also went through the entry closet and threw out 7 pairs of shoes (making myself be honest here too) and then brought all the keepers up to my closet and put them into the rack.  I left a pair of flip flops, 2 pairs of winter boots, and my runners downstairs.


Step three:  Hang said organized clothes....according to sleeve length ( I always do this one first) and color.  (2 baskets of dirty clothes were being washed still...hopefully they make it to the hangers)

Step four: Be giddy and enjoy the fact that my closet looks like this, even if it is only for one day, but love every second of it. :)


Here was my hard working assistant during all of this.  She was a huge help when the closet came crashing down...by running away to safety.



~S~

No comments: