Thursday, March 31, 2011

Guess who's coming for the weekend? {Guestroom makeover}

My mom!  Deb is so wonderful (yes, I call her Deb about 50% of the time.  We're best buddies as well as mother/daughter, so I figure I'm entitled to call her thus) and so much fun.  We usually end up exploring downtown Madison and eating ourselves silly at home and around town.  And since Deb qualifies as company (and it's her birthday weekend)....our guest room needed to be cleaned up STAT!  Remember last time you saw it?  Bah!  Disgusting, embarrassing etc ect! 

The toilet was moved back to his home in the newly remodeled bathroom.  And most of the other supplies were moved into storage in the garage and basement.  Just to refresh your memory, we started with this:



We definitely had our work cut out for ourselves.  Matt moved all of the bathroom supplies into storage and I originally was going to have this room painted by the time Deb came a calling, but decided that since we have company about 3 times a year, it wasn't super high up on the priority list.  And with the updated bedding I will tell you about in the next paragraph, the yellow actually worked.

I decided the guestroom needed quite the make over.  The baby yellow walls, red rug, and turquoise comforter were just not cutting it (No way, really?  Yellow, turquoise, and red don't work together?)  After thinking about painting (and just not being in the mood) I realized that if I used an already owned duvet cover, I wouldn't have to change the wall color if I wanted the room to come across as non-hillbillyish.  Sooo, after washing an already owned (aka old) down-alternative comforter (Matt is allergic to down) and stuffing it into a recycled (from the master bedroom) white duvet cover, paired with some super cute green striped sheets (which I bought and used once), I made the bed and fell in love with the Springy vibe the room gave off!  Check it out:




I unrolled the old rug from the living room and which immediately looked 50 times better than the red striped one.  Another apartment move-out cast off from a resident was a block of wood with three hooks on it....that sounded a bit homemade as I typed it, but I think it's actually from Target.  The wood is stained a dark espresso color and the hooks are a black color.  Anyway, I hung it on the wall for coats or towels, or whatever guests may not want laying on the ground.  I also brought in a small side table (from the living room before it was moved around) and put it under the hooks...you know in case guests need some table space.  I put a couple books of short stories down there too, in case Deb gets bored with me. (View from standing on the bed):



My far off in the distance plan is to refinish and move the dresser from this room and into the master bedroom, but for now I like it in the guest room.  I used some extra decor I had laying around for the top of it...and added a picture of Deb's 2 favorite kids :)  I also used a small glass tray for some lotions, room spray, and tissues (We in the Kendall house do not use tissues...we use toilet paper to wipe our noses, but I know Deb enjoys a nice tissue), to make the momma lady feel at home.  But seriously, how gorgeous is this dresser?  I never really appreciated it until now.  Growing up it was just there and when I moved to Madison (waaaay back in 2006) I took it with me since Matt and I had a bed and a chair to our names and then just shoved it into a closet everytime we moved.  Pretty amazing what a little Pledge and a couple decorations can do to open your eyes. 



Here are a couple more pics....you know, for your enjoyment :)





Fiona gave the room 4 paws up (wow, I am a huge dork).  We definatly still need to find some art for the walls, but I don't think Deb will be too offended with what we came up with for her.  
Cost of this guestroom make over: $0.00!  Everything I used we already had...even the little travel-size tissue package.  So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

~S~

No comments: