Monday, March 14, 2011

Weekend Project: Operation Organization

Friday night Matt and I dropped the kids off at Puppy Camp and zipped down to Chicago to visit my friend Laura and her boyfriend Brandon.  After inhaling 20 lbs of pizza and drinking ourselves a little bit silly Friday night, we went out to breakfast at Orange which has THE most amazing orange flavored coffee.  I bought a pound of it to bring home with me afterwards. :)  We skipped going downtown for all the St. Paddy's activities because of our aversions to crowds, but had an amazing time with our good buddies :)

Anyway, once we got home, I had a serious mission to accomplish: Operation Organization.  We are very lucky to have three linen closets on our upper level, all within 6 feet of one another.  One in the bathroom, which is getting it's own make over (We have never used this one for anything...mainly because you had to close the bathroom door, then open this closet door to even use it...and we very rarely close the bathroom door...we've know each other for too long to be shy).  But the two closets in the hallway we use daily.  One holds all of our linens and the other houses our bathroom necessities (hair supplies, paper towels, toilet paper, first aid, medicines, and a bit of throw stuff in here space).  Here is what the linen abomination looked like before:


How ungrateful for this space am I?  We have this huuuge linen closet, which we throw whatever into....and hardly ever put our linens into.  I love doing laundry, except the last part: putting it away.  I love the sorting, the folding, and the good smellingness of it....but LOATHE putting it where it belongs afterwards.  So, our towels end up being folded and left on top of the dryer (in the basement) and our clean sheets are left wherever I end up setting them down...usually somewhere in the bedroom (so, I can bring them all the way upstairs, only to walk right past the linen closet to put them in the bedroom...hmmm).  I avoid opening this closet door because I don't want to see the mess in there....Well, Sunday was the day to fix it.  Before I show you the after....here are some weird things I found inside the linen closet:

  • A huge stack of our wedding programs.  Yeah, we were married in 2008.
  • A plastic bag of Christmas ornaments
  • The wonderfully romantic card that Matt gave me the morning of our wedding
  • Spackle for the walls...which I used on our old apartment
  • Two different clocks
  • A bag full of camping supplies
  • Wrapping paper
So, nothing too outrageous.  Check out the much better after shot (Oh, and I guess we found a cat in the closet too):


I was still doing laundry, so there are a few sheet sets missing, but isn't it so much better?

We have another closet about two feet away from the above one...Which looked like this:


The lighter wood goes from the floor up to the slightly orangery wood is slanted at a 45 degree angle from the stairs below it (going to the living room).  The more orange wood is the bottom shelf.  Now, mind you, this closet was to hold hair products, cold medicine, first aid supplies, and paper toiletry stuff.  Here are the weird things I found in this one:
  • Wine fridge.  We don't have a lot of counter top space in our kitchen, so obviously the upstairs closet is the best place for a wine fridge.
  • Glass vase full of Christmas Hershey Kisses... from our holiday party...in December.
  • 2 empty 1-800-Contacts boxes
  • 4 empty jewelry boxes
  • 4 bottles of pickles from my grandma (My grandma makes the best homemade pickles)
  • A note Matt had written me when we first started seeing each other waaaay back in 2003.  He had stopped by my dorm room to say hi, but missed me. :)
  • House plans....for some other house.  They are the detailed plans from the architect....for a house on the far east side of Madison.  Hmmmm.  At some point we're going to drive over there and give them to the home owners.
Ok, here is the after:


Ahhhhhh, so much better for my sanity!  After cleaning out both hallway closets, I had two bulging bags of trash to take out.  I can't even believe how much junk we had collected.  After doing these two closets, my crazy brain wheels started turning about going through the closet in the office (which is our "junk closet." We put everything in there that we don't know where else to put) and the two closets in our guest room.

Operation Organization = SUCCESS! :)

~S~

No comments: